All posts in Vegetarian

Puff Pastry Tarts with Apricot, Pecan, and Brie: The Food and Fashion of Gatsby

ApricotTarts

As you definitely know, this past weekend was the premiere of the much anticipated film adaptation of The Great Gatsby. Everyone has been talking about it- Leo is in it, so you know it’s gonna be a blockbuster. That guy is such a gem. Can we just take a second?

Read more…

Cheddar and Blue Cheese Chips: VIP Treatment at the Austin Food and Wine Festival

IMG_5136

What a freakin’ weekend I had, y’all. (Copyright R. Kelly, 2003) I’m still reeling from three days of binge eating, day drinking, and hobnobbing with some of the nation’s foodie elites at the Austin Food & Wine Festival. By “hobnobbing,” of course, I mean awkwardly standing behind them pretending to text but really eavesdropping on their conversations with other important people.

As far as festivals in Austin go, this is really the only one that has anything to offer me. I don’t really listen to music that isn’t Billy Joel or Beyoncé, so Austin City Limits and South by Southwest always feel like a homework assignment to not embarrass myself in front of the cool kids. Smoking weed takes me on an introspective journey through all of the people I have disappointed in my lifetime, so Reggae Fest and Eeyore’s Birthday are also out of the question. (Don’t I sound like a super fun person? Call me if you want to hang out!)

Read more…

[THROWBACK THURSDAY] Red Velvet Black and White Cookies in Salute of Seinfeld

IMG_4450

Welcome to the first installment of a new (every other?) weekly feature on this blog, the Throwback Thursday. No, this is not a forum for you to post a pic of you and all your old besties at the middle school dance so you can make fun of Tina’s scoliosis brace. Leave that for the ‘gram.

My version of #tbt involves me breaking into the vault of old movies, TV shows, and various other pop cultural phenomena in order to reintroduce them to myself, and to you, my screaming audience of devoted readers. (You really shouldn’t scream at the computer tho that’s weird.)

Read more…

Spicy Veggie Breakfast Hash with Poached Eggs: The Apocalypse Brunch of It’s a Disaster

IMG_3974

I feel like we’re in kind of a lull period right now, entertainment-wise. Well, as much of a lull as there can be in the era of 3000 channels, On Demand, DVR, Netflix, Hulu, etc etc etc. God bless us, everyone- we are truly living in the Golden Age. Queen Elizabeth ain’t got shit on this.

Like I said though, we have a bit of down time at the moment. A lot of my favorite shows just wrapped up, it’s still post-Oscar crap movie season, and all of our most beloved celebs have taken a time out to dust off their dumpster attire and congregate in the desert to be photographed pretending to like cool music. (Three day music festivals are the setting of 97% of my nightmares.) (The other 3% are dinner parties at Donald Trump’s house; I have no real explanation for that.)

Read more…

Garlic and Herb Skillet Fondue: A Mad Men-induced Existential Crisis Cured by the Power of Cheese

Garlic & Herb Skillet Fondue

(Warning: This post contains spoilers from the premiere of “Mad Men,” so skip down to the food if you don’t want to read it.)

In Sunday night’s 19 1/2 hour season premiere of Mad Men, a lot of stuff happened. Well, kind of. It was long, and there were many scenes, but I’m not really sure what happened. I think the last season ended around the same time Bush was leaving office, and they didn’t give a “previously on” recap at the beginning of the episode, so I spent the first half hour doing a lot of “wait, who is that dude again?” and trying to readjust to the size of Megan’s teeth. Ugh– Megan. Don’t get me started.

Read more…